Tuesday 5 February 2013

Justrite Challenge 89...Anything Goes (Rivets Technique)


This fortnight those lovely peeps at Justrite have challenged us to use our favourite Justrite stamp. I have found it really hard to choose! Especially because they seem to prefer the fluffy, girly cards with lots of flowers and ribbons and lace (well, I guess a lot of people prefer those), but I've come to the conclusion that my favourite Justrite stamp is this masculine one of a car. It's hard to find good stamps for men's cards, but this one just inspires me every time I use it. Hope you like it too! If you'd rather I stuck to the girly cards then you'd better let me know :-)

"My favourite Justrite stamp"

There's a lot of inspiration from Sue Wilson in this card. I rather like her "paved pearl" technique, but wanted to see if I could make rivets instead, so used Pewter liquid pearls and tried to give the dots pointed tips.

"Rivets"

The messier the better for this technique! You don't want to touch the tip of the bottle to the card, but rather hold the tip above the card and let the liquid drip down, then draw the bottle up until the liquid drip breaks away. Don't forget to let your card sit undisturbed for 24 hours after finishing the rivets to let them dry properly or they'll end up squashed.

"Gears"

For the background, I've used a technique where I dry-emboss a pattern into mirri card (in this case, a selection of cogs and gears", then rub black acrylic paint into the recesses for an oily effect, buffing a little with kitchen roll before the paint is entirely dry. More gears are diecut from mirri card and some of them painted in a similar manner to the background, before being adhered with Pinflair or layered with screw-head brads.

"My favourite Justrite stamp"

The Justrite stamp is stamped in black archival and heat-embossed in clear before lightly sponging with Pumice Stone distress ink and mounting onto grey and black mats made by diecutting with the same die and cutting in half horizontally to make them appear larger than they are and act as frames for the main image (another technique learned from Sue Wilson).

Well I met up with my best mate Lee (aka Craftyloops) at the weekend and we had a whale of a time talking about crafting and crafting and crafting lol! If you haven't seen her blog, you should check it out. She has the most amazing flower tutorials. There's snow here in Northern Ireland today, so we are both cosy and warm in our own houses hoping that there may be a day or two of Summer ahead this year. Stay safe everyone. xxx

Ingredients
Justrite Going Places Vintage Labels
Justrite / Spellbinders Vintage Labels and Banners Dies
Spellbinders Sprightly Sprockets dies
Cuttlebug Gears Embossing Folder
black acrylic paint
distress ink: Pumice Stone
black archival ink
clear embossing powder
cardstock: grey 300gsm, black 300gsm, white 200gsm, silver mirri card
screw brads

Entered for the following challenge:
Justrite Friday Challenge 89 - Anything Goes

13 comments:

  1. THIS IS JUST CRAZY WONDERFUL! I LOVE IT! I love your rivets that you've done with the liquid pearls. How cool is that? I also love all of the gears ... the embossed ones melted into the background and the dimensional ones you've added on top. They all love phenomenal! That car stamp in the center is a beauty, too! Your work is always so well thought out and beautifully done. Hey, I wanted to thank you for the very sweet comments you left on my blog about Cinderella. I got such a kick out of reading your remembrances of seeing it in pantomime. <3 Candy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see why you like that image so much Maddy and the card you have made with it is stunning. The textures are amazing. I love the rivets and the way you have put everything together is wonderful.
    I'm glad you had a good time with Lee at the weekend.
    Take care in the snow
    Hugs Sue

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool card! I am adding "pewter liquid pearls" to my wish list. :)

    Thanks for sharing your card!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous, the background turns out great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great embossing folder with that stamp set! I love all the techniques you used! Thanks for sharing with us at JustRite Inspiration ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Holy Smokes! This is super cool! I love seeing (and doing)masculine cards, but this one takes the cake!

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow! Love those dies,,,,,think I need them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is an AWESOME masculine card -- thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a super cool masculine card. Like all the metal and the rivets.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, this is a great card. Sorry for late blog hopping. Phyllis. x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow what a stunning masculine card love it. Hugs Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is brilliant, those rivets look real

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment, it's nice to know I'm not just talking to myself :)